Sunday, August 01, 2010

Maddox for Mayor

Kind of like all of those pictures of current Mayor Steve Womack where he is not smiling.

***************************************

Many people have asked me what I thought about Kurt Maddox running for Mayor of Rogers. Maddox is the man I endorsed for Congress, and for whom I did a little consulting work early in his bid. It's been crazy around here lately, and he did not consult with me before making the announcement. I found out for sure when he sent the email out, just like many of you did. It's not the first I have heard of the idea though. When I last spoke to him, he did mention that many people from Rogers were asking him to jump into the race, based on dissatisfaction with the two announced candidates.

I actually feel even better about Kurt Maddox as Mayor of Rogers than I would as Congressman for the 3rd District. My feeling about Washington D.C. is basically that it is under judgment from God and any efforts good men and women make trying to save it from itself is just getting in God's way. My feelings about national politics can best be summed by a quote from this article...

For the first time in 250 years, politics has become irrelevant. Not uninteresting or unimportant; obviously the way a society organizes itself matters to its citizens and its place in the world.

But today there are no policies left on the “possible” menu that will save us from what’s coming. So a rational person’s time is better spent preparing rather than debating.* (Later, when we’re trying to decide what to build from the rubble, the argument will get interesting again.)


My attitude to Kurt and Dawn about Congress was "are you SURE you want to do this?". At the time, I thought county Judge was a better option. Nothing has happened to change my mind about national politics, everything that has happened since has only confirmed my initial fears. I really think this is more what the Good Lord wants Kurt to do than the job he initially stood up for.

While Kurt made his decision to endorse Steve Womack for Congress without my input, he did describe at length the rigorous procedures he used to make his decision. I can report that there was not a hint of "quid pro quo" in any of it. The idea of Mayor of Rogers was not even on the radar from everything I heard and saw. If Womack supports Kurt Maddox to be his successor, its not because of any secret deal. There would not have to be. Those two connected on a personal and business level. That's why it is coming down the way it is.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I've heard I think Maddox would make a good mayor. And something else in the future. What do you think his odds are they he could win the race?

7:49 PM, August 03, 2010  
Anonymous Mark said...

Quite good if the Womacks support him, and the papers are fair about things.

I heard a woman come in at work and talk to the owners. She was collecting money for Hines and bad mouthing MAddox pretty bad- a lot more than she was building up Hines.

I told Kurt about it and he said "that sounds like X". I checked later, and it was her! When Maddox can name the person bad mouthing him, I'd say the other camp is pretty small.

4:26 AM, August 04, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an interesting point. So what is his main reason for running?

8:53 PM, August 04, 2010  
Blogger Mark Moore (Moderator) said...

Ask the people who are drafting him! This was not his idea. Apparently many leading citizens of Rogers were not happy with the other candidates and felt MAddox was an able administrator and an honest guy.

5:08 PM, August 05, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guest he was too busy to get a home here since he does not even own his site. lolll

kurtmaddox.com

7:06 AM, August 18, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I've heard, I guess the liberal who owned the rights to the sight name (kurtmaddox.com) got pretty peeved when they wouldn't pay the $5,500 that he wanted for the site. Now it's his mission to unite the liberals against a proven conservative who won't waste money. Not bad and gives great comic relief!

1:07 PM, August 21, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

Under judgement of God? You sound like a Muslim radical. People need to keep God out of politics. Render unto Caesar... See the idea is that your faith in God should make you unconcerned with politics because untlimately God will take care of you, not politicians.

9:21 AM, November 02, 2010  
Anonymous Health Nwes said...

I really appreciate the blog since the first time do I saw it. Now they have reached another milestone which lead us to report about it, and I think it's a great new... as the content of the text.

4:47 AM, February 03, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home