Sunday, March 13, 2011

John Pelphery Never Raised My Taxes

I will make the same point now that I made when Houston Nutt left the Razorbacks' football program.

John Pelphery is no longer the head basketball coach at the University of Arkansas. Many were overjoyed at the news. Others, like me and presumably John Pelphery himself, were simply relieved. Now it is time for reflections.

On further reflection, John Pelphery never raised my taxes. Since the men's basketball program is a revenue producing sport, I did not have to roll my lazy carcass out of bed early even one day in order to earn wages that I would later be required to pay to the government on account of him. He never invaded my privacy, reduced my freedom, or trampled on our constitutional liberties. Yet many full grown adults were very upset with him. I have not noticed these same people taking equal umbrage at those who do raise our taxes, and grow government until it consumes both our earnings and our liberties.

John Pelphery is a man who coaches a game played with a ball. That's it. Am I living in a repeat of the last days of Rome? In those times, the crowds were kept amused with bread and circuses while the integrity of their rulers and institutions crumbled around them.

Pay attention to the important stuff. Time is short.

4 Comments:

Anonymous RockThisTown said...

Pelphrey (sorry, Mark - it's Pelph-RE-y) was fired unfairly, in my view. He should have, but wasn't, been given time to build his team and coaching method(s). Four years is insufficient to do so. Pity the next coach - he will be expected to perform miracles, although he should demand at least a 5-year contract.

If Pelphrey hasn't raised your taxes, Mark, let's fire everyone who has.

9:22 PM, March 13, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't sell the circus short; chariot racing teams became political parties eventually.

10:47 PM, March 13, 2011  
Blogger Linton said...

Our nation's circus arena these days is the television and Charlie Sheen is our current top gladiator. The line separating TV land from the reality of our nation's politics is increasingly thin. Huckabee, Palin, and Trump come to mind...

2:40 PM, March 14, 2011  
Blogger Mark Moore (Moderator) said...

Pelph-RE-y; shows how much i keep up with it!

4:30 PM, March 14, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home