Sunday, June 18, 2006

Telling the Chi-Coms to Get Lost One BBQ Grill at a Time

My sister is so great with a grill that I never felt the need to own one- until yesterday. I went to Home Depot. The cheap Chinese made "Aussie" grills were lined up at the door. They were $49. The American Grills the same size were $76, and to find that out I had to carry one the length of the store and ask for a price (no clerked registers were open, and unlike the prominent display of Chinese grills, there was not even a price tag on the shelf for the near-hidden American one).

I left without a grill. I checked Wal-Mart's website. Chinese made kettle grill, $39 (Lowe's had the same grill or one like it for $34). I went to Fred's and saw a piece of Chinese junk grill for $34. The box was taped. They all were. "If it is missing pieces can I bring it back?" I asked the lady. "Sure" she said. In a moment of weakness I walked out the door with it. As I left, I saw the Newspaper Rack. "255 Workers Laid Off At Superior Industries in Fayetteville" it said. That was a shame I thought, as I carried my Chi-com made grill to the car.

I was actually relieved when the Chi-com grill was in fact missing at least six pieces. I took it back and went back to Home Depot. Where as before there was no staff in sight, this time a virile looking man straight from the set of "tool time" saw me looking over the grills and asked if he could help. I said I did not know if I could get away with the smaller size or pay more for the big one. "Get the big one" he advised. "It puts more distance between your flame and your grill for more even cooking." I bought the big one. On the way out, I noticed all those Chi-com grills right near the door had a very shallow depth. My new, deep, "Made in USA", Webber Grill should last for years.

The burgers were great yesterday.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weber's are typically U.S. made. They make good entry-level grills.

If you're wanting a higher-end version (i.e., are willing to save for something as did Americans of yester-year), there are many US made in grills available for the choosing: Wilmington, Wood Fired, Lyfe Tyme just to name a few.

11:45 AM, June 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The burgers were great yesterday."

Give me a call the next time you fire up the grill! ;)

12:38 PM, June 18, 2006  
Blogger Mark Moore (Moderator) said...

Be glad to!

9:26 PM, June 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home