Saturday, February 03, 2007

Skipping the Super Bowl


It turns out the Super Bowl is going to prosecute churches for having "Super Bowl Parties". They got Congress to pass a law against the dangerous practice of showing the Super Bowl on a screen larger than 55 inches to large groups of people. They are afraid it will cut down on the number of "screens viewed" which is how they get paid. Instead of factoring in that Super Bowls are going to have a larger than average per-screen audience, they get Congress to pass this idiotic law.

I was looking for an excuse not to waste three hours of my life watching that thing. Thanks to their corporate greed I am going to boycott the game. I don't follow pro sports much anyway. I mean, most of those guys wouldn't give you or me the sweat off their socks if we were dying of thirst, so why should I get wrapped up in their lives? I just regret that it means no one will be at the rec center to play pick-up basketball with.

It looks like I get three or four hours of extra life tomorrow. Maybe I'll spend it doing something useful.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Muskrats!

(The Muskrats are in the Super Bowl this year, right?)

7:25 AM, February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The NFL kinda http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/03/nfl-oks-super-bowl-viewing-in-churches-as-long-as-no-one-pays/
backtracked and o.k'ed watching it at church on bigger tv's and even projectors as long as they dont charge for it.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/03/nfl-oks-super-bowl-viewing-in-churches-as-long-as-no-one-pays/

Just thought you should know..

11:58 AM, February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never was an issue at our church because we wouldn't break the law like some others and have a kids night where kid friendly dvds were shown on the screen or tuned to family friendly channels.

Churches sadly are a huge source of copyright infringement. I know of more than one that has gotten into trouble for posting lyrics to songs without having purchased a license to use protected songs.

9:01 PM, February 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the tone of this post is a little misleading (though I'm sure not intentionally).

The issue at hand is copyright infringement. Some churches had planned to charge for viewing the Superbowl, which, of course, they have no right to sell in the first place.

9:53 AM, February 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home