Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Texas Senate Overwhelmingly Opposes HPV Vaccination-for-Girls Mandate

Sue Madison of Fayetteville filed a bill requiring Department of Health to make HPV Vaccine available for "each girl twelve years of age and older" this legislative session in Arkansas. She withdrew the bill (SB 954) after it received little support.

Citizen Link Daily Update reported the following at this link:
http://www.citizenlink.org/CLtopstories/A000004466.cfm

"On Monday, [April 23, 07] the Texas Senate voted 30-1 to override Gov. Rick Perry's order that would have required schoolgirls to be vaccinated against human papillomavirus (HPV), a sexually transmitted infection that causes cervical cancer. [The bill to bar this vaccination order by Governor Rick Perry was overwhelmingly approved by the Texas House last month.]

"The House passed the legislation last month. It now goes to the governor, who can sign it, veto it or let it become law without his signature, which would happen in 10 days. Both houses have enough votes to override his veto.

“I’m hopeful he’ll be respectful of the vote of the people,” said Kelly Shackelford, president of the Free Market Foundation, an organization associated with Focus on the Family. “They don’t want the power of the Legislature usurped in this way.”

"In February, Perry outraged the state and nation when he issued an executive order to require the HPV vaccine for all girls entering the sixth grade.

"Sen. Glenn Hegar told The Associated Press that passing the legislation sets a precedent that “we as a Legislature have a voice and we get to decide what vaccines are mandated in the state of Texas and which vaccines are not.”'

For another newspaper story see this link: Title of article is "Senate approves bill blocking Gov. Perry’s HPV vaccine order" By LIZ AUSTIN PETERSON Associated Press in the Herald Democrat http://www.heralddemocrat.com/articles/2007/04/24/texas_news/state05.txt

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This vaccine should be made available for each 12 year old. I have had part of my cervix cut out two different times because of a high-risk strain of HPV. Did I sleep around? No. I either got it from my husband or the man who date-raped me in college when I was 17. If it comes back, my entire cervix must be cut out. I haven't had a chance to have children yet. You'd better believe that if I have a daughter, she will get the vaccine. Too many young women are dying from cervical cancer. This can be prevented. Just because someone gets the vaccine, doesn't mean they will sleep around.

Sue Madison didn't try to make people get the shot. She just tried to make it available for low income girls. But I'm sure Ms. Pelley knew that since she is an English teacher and all. She can understand what "make available" means.

I'm sorry if I am upset, but this vaccine can save women's lives. I think it is too early to require it because we need more studies. But the Department of Health needs to offer this shot. Maybe it will save some female from the pain and expense I have been through trying to preserve my life and my fertility from this horrible virus.

11:08 AM, April 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home