Friday, April 18, 2008

I Am A Victim of Identity Theft

(Note: This person is a close friend of mine in Arkansas , but she does not feel she can even give her name because her employers may see it as racial bias. I know it is true because I talked to her weekly as she worked through these problems.)

"The influx in illegal immigrants has helped cause identity theft to be the fastest growing crime in our country; I learned this last year. Someone wrote checks for thousands of dollars on my bank account. I closed out the account, and they still are writing checks in my name in various places; so now I am the criminal. I have to carry papers with me proving I am a victim of identity theft in case the law tries to arrest me.

I had no idea that such a thing could happen, but it has cost me my reputation (it hurts having places of business call you because of bounced checks) and brought a great deal of fear in my life because I will never know in the future, until the day I die I guess, how they will use my social security number. It has also cost me hundreds of hours of my time dealing with the problems that have resulted from this stolen identity."

3 Comments:

Blogger F. Prefect said...

In all fairness, the perpetrator of this crime is of unknown race/nationality, blaming immigrants is uncalled for.

(Based on the information in this article.)

3:04 PM, April 19, 2008  
Blogger Mark Moore (Moderator) said...

The spam is so appropriate that I am going to leave it up!

8:09 AM, April 20, 2008  
Anonymous Victim to Identity Theft said...

In case you are looking for a good resource of guidance for victims to identity theft. check out the link.

11:58 PM, January 15, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home