Monday, September 08, 2008

Dobson and FOCUS Get Tough- On Pro-Lifers!

Focus on the Family Founder James Dobson has changed his position on John McCain. He once declared that he would never vote for him, but is now pushing the Arizona Senator for President.

There is a growing schism in the Pro-Life movement between high-profile groups who are "connected" to the Republican party and more grassroots efforts which assail the well-connected groups for their failure to protect innocent life. A former pro-life spokesman named Will Grigg noted that he felt like the paid staffers for the organization had a top priority of keeping the issue in play so that their paychecks could keep coming. IOW, Protecting innocent life was a smokescreen, since once the battle was won, there would be no need for paid warriors to keep on fighting.

National Right to Life, which actually lobbied AGAINST a South Dakota measure that would have ended almost all abortions in that state, is among the groups drawing fire from those who want to move faster to staunch the flow of innocent blood. A well-connected source from the effort to sponsor human life amendments to state constitutions tells me that various NRTL state affiliates have also undermined their efforts. James Dobson heads Focus on the Family, long considered one of the top groups in the country for protecting innocent life. It could be argued that since they have been the leaders, the lack of legal progress despite a pro-life shift in popular feeling is in part their responsibility.

The question boils down to who is really doing God's work and who is just a "palace prophet" that falls into line with the wishes of whoever the current king may be. Today Focus on the Family got tough, but not on abortionists. The got tough on frustrated pro-lifers who protested the lack of real action on life issues from an organization which garners millions of dollars in contributions partly because they wear the mantle of a pro-life champion. Here is an excerpt from the Colorado papers....

"On Thursday, eight people from Denver-based Right to Life Action gathered at Focus on the Family's headquarters in north Colorado Springs and eventually entered the lobby, demanding to talk to Focus President Jim Daly about Dobson's flip-flop.

The protestors were arrested on suspicion of trespassing and later released, said Colorado Springs police Sgt. Mike Lux.

American Right to Life takes McCain to task for voting to approve funds for abortion in the case of pregnancies stemming from rape or incest. At the same time, they said, Dobson is captured on a 1990 video pledging at a Washington, D.C., rally to never "cast one vote for any man or woman who would kill one innocent baby."

Bob Enyart, spokesman for American Right to Life Action and one of the protestors arrested, said Dobson not only "violated his pledge to God" by backing McCain, but is also wrong to believe that McCain will be an anti-abortion president.

"McCain hasn't changed any of his views on abortion," said Enyart, who hosts a Christian talk radio showon KLTT AM in Denver."


NRTL and Focus on the Family, are they really trying to protect the unborn, or have they gotten so cozy with the political machine that they were supposed to be holding accountable that they have lost sight of their mission?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

Nice to see you questioning the motives of Dobson and other pro life groups. If you go back a few months on this site you can see I was questioning the motives of the so called "Christian Right" and was ridiculed by some of your readers for selling out Christians for political gain. I think the real question is who is selling out whom?

7:55 AM, September 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never vote for McCain or anyone else who is for the merciless slaughter of the weakest among us.

I am a good friend of Jesus Christ and what I do unto the weakest of his own, I do onto him.

12:29 PM, September 09, 2008  
Blogger Mark Moore (Moderator) said...

I believe that some of those who are set forward as "leaders" of the Christian right are in danger of God's judgment on their ministries because of the way they have mis-led the faithful.

4:07 PM, September 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guys, it NRLC not the NRTL, How many times do I have to tell you!

3:20 PM, September 10, 2008  
Blogger Mark Moore (Moderator) said...

Oooops.

I will endeavor to improve my acronyms.
I will endeavor to improve my acronyms.
I will endeavor to improve my acronyms.
I will endeavor to improve my acronyms.
I will endeavor to improve my acronyms.
I will endeavor to improve my acronyms.
I will endeavor to improve my acronyms.
I will endeavor to improve my acronyms.
I will endeavor to improve my acronyms.

8:03 PM, September 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its Ok Mark! Good Job!

3:12 PM, September 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home