Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Holt Fundraiser Report



UPDATE: Link to pics

I attended the Mad Pizza fundraiser for former State Senator Jim Holt last night. This was not the $1,000 dollar a plate event, but the $100 a plate event that is in reach even for the working man (like me!). It was also $250 per family, and there were several large families there. The room was packed, well over 100 souls at a time and people were drifting in and out.

The event was very informal and low-key. "Holt for Senate" signs were in evidence, but no announcement that he was in, either here or at the big-money event. There likely be some sort of notification of where and when he will make an announcement on his intentions for 2010.

I don't know much about the big-money event. I got one brief phone call about it. They said there were 11 weather related cancellations (I guess at 1K a plate they are keeping pretty close track) but that several of those had committed to donate the money anyway. Take that 11 away from my earlier report based on oral commitments that they had a full house for the event.

I may have a source for pics. If so, I will post them.

8 Comments:

Anonymous c.b. said...

The Ruth's Chris event was a success as well. My understanding from some in the campaign was that there were 15 payers that attended and that the 11 weather-cancels did commit for the $1000. Hopefully that adds up to 26 and I counted 25 place sittings, so it would have been more than a full house. As it was, I assume the other 10 seats were filled with various campaign workers.
The meeting was low-key & interesting with talks from Jim & New Jerseyan Rick Shaftan, who explained some of the strategery they are implementing.
All in all it was a great event, everyone had pictures with Jim by a hired photographer & there was plenty of time for everyone to visit with Jim at length.
Oh, and the vittles weren't half bad either......

3:42 PM, December 30, 2009  
Anonymous Rick said...

c.b., Sorry I missed it. I fall in the category of mailing my check so I could spend time at home with my family. I talked with Jim briefly this morning and he said fund raising is far ahead of the past elections. If the campaign will focus on raising money he will be a shoe in for the nomination. Hopefully candidates like Reynolds will drop out and throw their support to Holt in the near future.

7:14 PM, December 30, 2009  
Anonymous eLwood said...

Interesting. The upper limit per plate for a U.S. Senate race would be $2,400.
However, or an Ark state Senate race the upper limit would be $1,000.

3:21 PM, December 31, 2009  
Anonymous c.b. said...

I'm sorry eLwood, I don't follow..... Could you explain??

3:27 PM, December 31, 2009  
Anonymous Rick said...

I believe eLwood is saying Holt is running for State Senate.

4:51 PM, December 31, 2009  
Blogger Mark Moore (Moderator) said...

Unlikely, but a few rumours always add to the interest!

6:11 PM, December 31, 2009  
Anonymous c.b. said...

Wasn't sure what "upper limit" meant. $2,400 would be the maximum contribution, but I thought that would apply to any race....
I also thought that Jim termed out in the AR. Senate, as he did in the House

8:12 AM, January 01, 2010  
Blogger Mark Moore (Moderator) said...

Jim has one term left in the senate and one in the house, but that does not mean he is going back. It's US Senate or bust.

8:38 AM, January 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home